Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole

Okay, don't eat this one if you're trying to watch what you eat but it's freakin' delicious! This is our family's favorite casserole, and the ONLY casserole that sister will touch with a ten-foot pole, including macaroni and cheese, if you can believe that!

Nana found this one in a magazine years ago and it really only comes out of hiding when Mom isn't going to be home for dinner (dad can't do anything in the kitchen past "put this in the oven on so-and-so temp for so-and-so length of time). I've tried my best to make it healthier. I try to make myself feel better by serving it with lots and lots of veggies - broccoli goes great with this.


Please pardon my filthy stove.


Ingredients

4 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded (you can cube it, if you're feeling lazy)
2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup (Whole Foods carries a couple of organic brands, but they can be hard to find. I plan on learning how to make it myself very soon. It's next on my list.)
1 Pint Sour Cream
1/2 Jar Poppy Seeds
Enough crushed "Golden Round" crackers (like Ritz) to cover the top with a thin layer (you should be able to find an organic version in most grocery stores)

Directions

1. Mix the chicken, soup, sour cream, and poppy seeds together and spread in a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle the crackers on top.

2. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until the sides start to bubble.

Mom Tip

*If you freeze this, don't put the crackers on top until it's ready to cook or they'll be soggy.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, my friend's mom in HS used to make this and I loooooooooved it! Thank you so much for posting, although I am not sure when I will be able to talk myself into eating it. Yummo!

    ReplyDelete