Monday, September 13, 2010

Gorgonzola & Sun-Dried Tomato Bison Burgers

*These are delicious! I adapted this recipe from one I found on the Whole Foods website, but it is equally superb with beef. Try varying the amount of Gorgonzola and sun-dried tomatoes to suit your taste, but a little bit goes a long way.

Ingredients

3 Oz Gorgonzola, crumbled (Whole Foods has Gorgonzola made with raw milk)
3 Tbsp Sun-Dried Tomatoes in oil, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 Lb Grass-Fed Ground Meat, such as bison or beef (Our Safeway carries ground bison!)
4 Whole Wheat English Muffins

Directions

1. Combine Gorgonzola, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add ground bison and use your hands or two forks to lightly combine all ingredients, taking care not to overwork meat. Add a tablespoon or two of water if needed to hold meat together. With dampened hands, form meat into 6 patties of even thickness. Place patties on a baking sheet, cover loosely and refrigerate for at least an hour.

2. Preheat grill or broiler. Cook burgers about 4 minutes per side to desired doneness, turning carefully with a spatula halfway through.

3. Top with melted cheese and grilled onions. Serve on buttered, toasted English muffins or hamburger buns.

Mom Tip:

I really don't like to get my hands dirty when I'm working with ground meat. I've found that if I put all the ingredients in my Kitchenaid mixer and mix them on the slowest setting for about 30 seconds, it doesn't affect the texture of the meat and my hands stay clean! The extra dishes are worth it to me, you have to decide if they're worth it to you!
Sometimes I double burger recipes and freeze half the patties in a glass Pyrex dish with plastic lid. I just put a small square of wax paper between each patty. I have never followed the old advice of not refreezing meat that's already been frozen as long as it was defrosted in the fridge in the first place - and we've never been sick! It's always nice to have extra meals stashed away that are already prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment