Monday, October 4, 2010

Macaroni & Cheese with Chicken & Broccoli

I'm a mac & cheese freak. I was raised on boxes of bright yellow Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. It was also, sadly, my staple in college. Legend has it that Nana would secretly buy boxes of generic (and less expensive) mac & cheese, set an old, empty Kraft box on the counter, and try to pass off the generic as the real thing. She didn't get away with it.

Now that we're all older and wiser, chemically laden boxes of Kraft are a thing of the past. But if I'm being completely honest, sometimes it still calls my name when I pass by the Pastaroni/Minute Rice/Kraft Mac & Cheese aisle.... What can I say? Old habits die hard!

So anyway, one day I was reeeeeally craving some mac & cheese, but Dad doesn't like mac & cheese (blasphemous!), so I went hunting for a recipe that might satisfy us both. What resulted is the recipe below. Even though Sister likes all of the ingredients separately, she won't even touch this - she doesn't do casseroles. The rest of us love it! It's pretty time-consuming, so I usually make a giant batch of it for dinner on a night when Sister isn't home and freeze some portions for Dad to take to school for his lunches. It freezes beautifully. It also makes a great dish to take when visiting a new mother. It's never had anything but rave reviews - not counting sister!

Ingredients

1 Pound Chicken Breasts, sauteed then cubed smallish
2 Tsp Olive Oil
2 Heads Broccoli, steamed for 3-5 minutes
2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
2 Tbsp Flour
2 1/4 Cups Whole Milk (or 2 cups cream)
1 1/2 Cups Grated Fontina Cheese (or Farmer's cheese)
2 Cups Grated Cheddar Cheese
Salt
Pepper
1 Pound Macaroni, cooked
1/3 Seasoned Bread Crumbs

Directions

1. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually mix in milk. Bring to a boil while stirring. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly.

2. Add both cheeses (save 1/2 cup of cheddar for top) and stir until sauce is smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

3. Mix sauce with pasta, chicken and broccoli.

4. Add the mixture to two casserole dishes. Top with seasoned breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Cook in 350 degree oven for 20 or 30 minutes.

Mom Tips

This recipe is very forgiving, so if you have more or less than is called for of chicken, broccoli, or pasta, it will still work. Truth be told, mine is never exactly the same twice.

Only chumps buy bread crumbs! I always throw bread heels in the freezer and when I have a bunch I throw them in the food processor to make my own. You can add seasoning to it to make "seasoned" breadcrumbs.

Trader Joe's has a very affordable New Zealand grass-fed cheddar cheese that's $5 a pound. It comes in organic grass-fed as well, but it is $8 a pound.

2 comments:

  1. sounds yummy I'll have to make it for the girls and hubby. I'm vegetarain (trying to be more vegan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. forgot to tell you I have a food blog check it out and let me know what you think: http://butterflywishesformygirls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete