Sunday, December 11, 2011

Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potatoes

One of my favorite pastimes is reminding daddy to appreciate me. A very effective method of doing this is betting him that I'm the only wife he knows who wraps her husband's vegetables in bacon. Did I mention that daddy has a thing for bacon?

Dear children, if you're reading this then it's probably something like twenty years in the future... Soooo, approximately 2031. If, my darlings, "they" are still preaching a diet low in saturated fat in the year 2031, promise me that you will ignore, ignore, ignore! Not so sure? Watch this, or even better, watch this.

We eat plenty of saturated fat with every meal. Since I roast a chicken for dinner every Sunday and chicken is a lean meat, I like to serve side dishes that are high in saturated fat to accompany our bird and help us digest the nutrients in our vegetables. I found this recipe here, modified it slightly, and it became a fast favorite!

Ingredients

2 sweet potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
12 ounces uncured bacon, each slice cut into thirds
Ghee (or butter if you're short on ghee)
Maple syrup

Directions

1. Melt some ghee in a pan on medium heat and add some maple syrup, a small amount of each is all that's neccessary. You just need enough to coat the sweet potatoes. Throw the pieces of sweet potatoes in and stir them around, coating them with the ghee and syrup.

2. Wrap each bite in a piece of bacon and secure it with a toothpick.

3. Spread the bacon bites out in a casserole dish. Roast in a 375 degree oven for about an hour or until the bacon is crispy and the potatoes are fork tender.

MOM TIP

* If you have any other vegetables sitting around, you can throw them in the dish, too. Most recently I had a handful of brussel sprouts and pearl onions that needed to be used up, so I threw them in there, too.

* I roast these in the oven at the same time I'm roasting the chicken. When I take the chicken out and let it rest for twenty minutes, I crank the heat up a bit so that the bacon crisps.

No comments:

Post a Comment